Monday, May 25, 2009

Off to Afghanistan

Ok, I've been sitting here trying to figure out how to write this and honestly, just thinking about makes my eyes water up and gets my brain all disarrayed. Scott left for his 7+ month deployment on Friday and it sucks. Scott got up around 1am that morning to finish packing and Brennen somehow woke up, too. The saddest part, when Scott asked B what he was doing up and B said, "I want to spend time wif you, Daddy". How do you tell your kid to go back to bed after that? So B stayed up and helped Scott till we had to drive him up to San Mateo on Camp Pendleton. He had to be there at 6am and thankfully he kept finding excuses for us to hang around a little longer. We stayed till about 7:15 and finally got around to saying our good-byes. Which is good, because if I had stayed around to wait for them to load the buses at 11am I would've been a total mess. Scott had called me right when they started loading the buses and made a comment about how the waterworks were starting and I replied, "They started when everyone woke up this morning." Then he said, "Well, I guess this is the grand finale." Glad I wasn't there for that.

I know the family has been waiting for me to post Scott's address, and if anyone else wants to send letters or care packages (let me know if you want to send packages cause there's some guidelines and other things to know before mailing things) please feel free to!

Lt. Stewart S.A.
1/5 A Co
Unit 40325
FPO AP 96427-0325
Can you tell how much I had been crying?

3 comments:

Johnny and Eirian said...

Ughh, heartbreak. This is such a contrast to your previous post with lots of happiness (congrats to Scott for his awesome achievements at school!!)

I'm praying for Scott and for the Stewarts still at home without your husband and father to hug on.

Thank you to your family for the sacrifices you make in serving our great country. I love you!

Kimi said...

I can never stay at the drop off. It is just too hard. If you ever need to talk to someone who's going through it too, I'm always here. Are you going to WA at all this summer? We'll be up there for 5 weeks during Rye's summer break.

Elizabeth C said...

That must have been sooo hard for you guys!! I guess being away from each other will make the reunion that much sweeter! You all are amazing to sacrifice for our country. You are in our prayers!